In honor of all the recent grads (I have college students in mind, but high school students could probably benefit from some wisdom as well), I have compiled a list of quick advice – things to keep in mind when adulthood is no longer on the horizon but in fact, right in your face.
- Do not give up.
- Put yourself first, but find time to help others. Balance is key.
- Money isn’t everything. Sure it can make life easier at times, and sure you can buy nice things with it (to whoever said money doesn’t buy happiness – have you ever ridden a jet ski in the Bahamas?). But things are just things, they won’t last forever.
- Do not eat big meals before interviews/meetings/seminars etc.
- You WILL find the right partner. It might take a long ass time, but he/she is out there.
- Do not settle.
- Okay, maybe settle with your first job out of college, but do not give up (see above). I spent a year of steadily applying at jobs in my field (library science) before I even had my first interview. Meanwhile, I worked in a grocery store. Guess what? I landed that interview because of my grocery store experience.
- Do not avoid chances for skinny dipping, dancing like a maniac, going on dates, singing
karaoke loud and off key, any chance to show off – because of the way you look. When you’re old and reflecting back on your life, you don’t want to regret missing out on fun memories because you were too self conscious. Just have fun! No one minds!
- Set goals, and do what you want to do. Do you long to have a busy and fulfilling career? Go for it. Take those promotions, they’re waiting for you. Do you aspire to be a mother? Just because it’s unpaid doesn’t make this just as fulfilling of a career. There is no standard for a fulfilling life – but you’ve only got one, do what makes you happy.
- The universe is confusing, but things do (weirdly) work out.
Hopefully at least one thing on this list resonates with you. And while I’m at it, let’s add another one:
- Forget what I said about adulthood being in your face, we are the generation of adulthood beginning at 30